Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Making a Quiet Time Really Work

(Works for Me Wednesday)

Quiet times are so hard. You know? It's so hard to intentionally put aside time each day to spend with God. I want it to be an "intimate" time with the Lord, but sometimes I'm doing good just to read a verse. And sometimes, I just don't want to pray. Sometimes, scrolling through facebook, or checking my email sounds much more appealing that reading the words of my Creator! What is wrong with me?

I'm sinful. That's what is wrong. BUT, I am saved, so I have the Spirit working in me to make me like Christ. I DO want that intimate time with God each day, so I have begun to set up boundaries for myself just like I would if I wanted to avoid any other sin.

I wake up each morning with a routine. I wash my face, take the dog out, feed the dog, make coffee, and fix my breakfast. I do all that within about 15 minutes. That leaves me about 45 minutes of "free" time. I could use this free time to sleep in longer, do laundry, or waste my life away on facebook, but I have made a rule for myself:

 I am not allowed to do anything else until I've read my bible and prayed. 

I know that sounds simple, but it works for me. I'm not allowed to get on facebook, twitter, instagram, or email until I've read my bible and prayed. No one is holding me accountable, but you know what's funny? I think God is helping me out. This morning, I was feeling rebellious and hopped on facebook as I sat down with my breakfast, and facebook proceeded to NOT load so I had to close it and read my bible:)

Spending time with the Lord is important. He speaks to us through his Word, and works in us when we spill our heart to Him. If nothing else, praying each morning has made me realize how much my God loves me and wants me. He wants to know everything-not because he doesn't already know, but because it reminds me that He knows and cares.

Anyway, that's what works for me! What do you do to make your quiet time work each day?

Much love,
-Adrienne

I'm linking up with We are That Family today:)

1 comment:

  1. WEll satan will do everything in his power to interrupt your quiet time, believe me. If not today, tomorrow but it's how important it is to you. When you have a family that consists more than J and a dog, that one Bible verse may be what you get in and you know what? You are still saved and God understands! I know it's been many years of trying to fit it all in and not feel quilty about it! But I now cherish my time in the mornings! I'm still tweaking it but I need that time in the morning with just me and God. You are on the right track, just don't get discouraged - all the other stuff will be there later - facebook will eventually load LOL Love you!

    ReplyDelete